Monday, October 26, 2009

Grateful for Gertie


This is my first post. I've never written a blog before, nor followed one. In fact, I've often questioned why people even have blogs at all. I never understood what people had to say that was important enough to say it to the world. Though perhaps I have no room to talk, since I'm a performer and make my living shouting things to the world.

But about a week ago I came across a fantastic blog called Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing and my mind has changed. Gertie set a goal to become a better seamstress by following the 1952 publication "Vogue's New Book for Better Sewing." I was instantly hooked and spent hours over the next few days pouring over all her posts. Not only does she have great wit and humor, she's talking about something I'm actually interested in! Sewing! I found myself drawn into her world, and so grateful to her for sharing it.

Well, sewing is one of my many crafts. I am lucky enough to be working in an artistic profession that I love, and on top of that I sew, make jewelry, take & edit photographs, and write music. I feel like I barely have time to think. My time is also usurped by my husband, 2 cats, and a very spoiled Irish Setter, Layla. I feel like I have more ideas in my head than time to execute them.

When I came across Gertie's blog, I realized why people write them, because I realized why people read them. I found a group of people talking about their craft. Why they love it, why they hate it. A place to take problems and questions and get answers and support. A place to post your projects, boast about them, cry about them, remember why we crafty people do what we do. I found people going through what I've gone through.

How can I say this?

I WANT TO GO TO THERE!!!

Since I do so many random things, I expect this will be a slightly random blog. But I think all creative things can relate to each other. Especially all the emotions we go through while creating. Sometimes I want to throw my sewing machine across the room, just as I sometimes want to throw my soldering iron across the room. There's a connection there.

I don't expect anyone to read this crazy thing. I certainly don't claim to know what I'm doing with this here blog, but I'm gonna have fun posting.

Oh, and Mom, since you're probably the only one reading this anyway, "I want to go to there" is an actual quote from 30 Rock, the TV show. Not just bad grammar. :)

1 comment:

Susane said...

Dearest, Victoria!
What a wonderful surprise! And I am so happy that you "want to go there" and may I be with you, "there"? I'm sending you lots of love and support in recognizing that your creative spirit not only brings you something, it also extends and connects in unbelievalbe ways with so many people. I've seen it in action!
Enjoy~
Love, Mother