Sunday, January 3, 2010

Past Projects: Dream Catcher

In honor of the closing night of The Marvelous Wonderettes, I thought I would share one of my favorite creations while in the Wonderette world.

One of my fellow actors, Bets Malone, is one of the biggest supporters of my jewelry store on Etsy.  She helps me work on ideas, and tells everyone she meets that she's wearing one of MY pieces.  So I made her this little charm based on the Cootie Catchers from the 1950s, affectionately called a "Dream Catcher" in the show.


First I cut 16 TEENY triangles of glass.  Then painted hearts or letters on the back with glass paint, then painted over the hearts and letters with red glass paint.  Then I cooked the glass in the oven to seal the paint.  Then I wrap each piece of glass in copper foil tape and solder the pieces together with my soldering iron.


Then I attach the pieces together with mini hinges so it can move back and forth like a real dream catcher of old.

The letters on the inside spell "L-O-V-E".




3 comments:

Kristin said...

That's great! I love it!

Drop Stitches Not Bombs said...

That is by far the coolest thing I've seen all day - wow!

Lions, Tigers and Fashion OH MY! said...

wow, you are very talented. I love it! xoxo