Saturday, November 7, 2009

I Want a Pencil Skirt!



This gorgeous lipstick red pencil skirt is from my favorite blogger, Gertie.  She has yet again inspired me.

I've been dreaming of making this pattern since the moment I saw it, and finally made the decision to make it.  So I ordered the pattern, Burda 8155, from Etsy and I can't wait till it arrives!

I set off to Mood fabric store yesterday to browse and drool over the amazing array of fabrics.  As many of you know, this is where the Project Runway designers shop.  It's three floors of bliss.

Not only did I find the perfect lipstick red wool to make this fabulous skirt, but I fell in love with two other wools.  Since I was in pencil skirt mode, I immediately thought of these two woven wools in the same pattern, and love the idea.




The colors are a bit different than the picture really captures.  The yellow is so warm and buttery with cream and orange flecks.  The orange is just the perfect shade of orange, without being too Halloween.

Now keep in mind that I at this point have no idea if this pattern will even look good on me in a muslin, let alone the 3 other versions I have in mind.

But that butter yellow keeps whispering my name.

Last night however, I thought to myself, "Do I really want to drape my butt in butter yellow?  How good will that REALLY look?"

Since I am the Queen of Justification, with a capital Q, I figure it's only around $25.  I could spend that much at a bar in a night and still have a terrible time.  So why not?

I'm going to try the pattern in a material I already own and make any adjustments, then dive into the red one first.  If that works out, maybe the frivolous yellow pencil skirt.

But wouldn't it look just dreamy with a creamy chiffon blouse?  No one else would have one!  I would be a walking ray of sunshine.  I keep thinking of that Chanel suit in Pepto Bismol pink.  If Chanel can do a pastel skirt, then why can't I?  (Yikes!)

I'd certainly be in some good company.


  

And a quick Google search reveals....I wouldn't be the first...




I want it!  And the beige knit top....fantastic!  (squeal!)

Coincidentally just after leaving the fabric store I brushed past a hurried Chrisitan Siriano, Project Runway winner.  Not wanting to bother him, I sent him a silent "Fierce!" and went on my way.

4 comments:

Drop Stitches Not Bombs said...

I'm sure the skirt would look fabulous in that buttery cream. I love making textural things in paler colours - the play of light and shade really makes details like those ruffles (are they ruffles?) at the hips 'pop'. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

victoria said...

I don't think there are any ruffles there, but that would sure be cute...hmm...

Thanks for the support!

Susane said...

And speaking of pastels, in the 60's I had two favorite pencil skirts; one in pale pink and pastel yellow which I dearly loved. I'll have to go searching for a picture, now....

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the buttery cream fabric for this skirt. Also props for giving Christian the silent fierce.