Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Past Projects: Back Injury



I made this collage in the Summer of 2007, when I tore a disc in my back.  The doctor gave me Prednisone, which turned me into a crazy person.  I barely slept for almost 2 weeks, and kept all my friends and family members on the phone for hours at a time talking nonsense.

Luckily there was a Hobby Lobby (the greatest craft/fabric store EVER, and I mean, seriously) less than a mile away.  I could barely walk, yet I was so freaking bored out of my mind I dragged myself over there (in a car, yes) at least once a day and hobbled around finding random crafts.  And this store is as big as WalMart.

For this piece I printed out quotes and images that inspired me during this trying time, and some reminders to embrace the moment so I could relax and heal.




My soldering work is a bit shoddy, but I chock that up to the drugs, as they made me restless and impatient.




It now hangs at my desk as a reminder to take care of my back, and my body.  And to sit up straight.

I should hurry up and make a lot of money so I can buy a franchise of Hobby Lobby for New York City.  If you live near one of these wondrous establishments, please frequent the store so they stay in business!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how we find things when life takes stuff away. When I was 15 I was diagnosed with spondylolysis which is a fracture in the region of the pars interarticularis or L5. I wore a back brace and was out of gym class for six months. A friend of the family taught me how to do counted cross stitch. I took to it quickly and became a cross-stiching fiend. It was also during this time that I started to write and ended up with a BA in Creative Writing.