Monday, June 21, 2010

Blood Red Dress

Hello blog world!  I have been meaning to write another post for weeks now, but things have been so crazy around here! 

Today I was working on my first vintage pattern, Advance 9270 (the middle look)...


...in this blood red polyester wool, which I found on deep clearance.  I decided to make a wearable muslin out of it to try the pattern out, before making it in a more expensive fabric.  I decided to line the bodice with this great Amy Butler cotton...


and as I was making my first cut with my rotary cutter I sliced my toe, clean through the nail.  Gross.  It just goes to show ya, those things are sharp!  And shedding a little blood for the blood red dress seems appropriate I guess.

Anyway, I was sitting here propping my foot up on my sewing machine, and I figured, hey, now's a good time to catch up on all those blog posts I've been dreaming up.  So here's a quick tutorial of my favorite way to mark darts.



First, lay something straight on your dart line (here I've used a notebook, but you could be smarter than I and use a ruler).



Second, fold your pattern back and draw along your straight edge with chalk.



To mark the dart on the back (or if the fabric is folded), fold the fabric back and use the same straight edge to mark the fabric.



Repeat on the other side of the dart.  As you sew, you have a perfect guide.


I hope that wasn't too ghetto for you all.  It's my first tutorial!  I came across this technique online somewhere, but naturally I can't seem to find it now.  So these mediocre iPhone photos will have to do.

Well, thanks for putting up with me today.   Happy (and safe) sewing!



No comments: