Monday, June 21, 2010

My 6-Year-Old Self


While browsing in Barnes and Noble yesterday, I came across a book called Carefree Clothes for Girls.  I was struck with the desire, not only to dress some little girls, but to dress like this myself!  I just love the idea of clothes that can be well worn, washed without too much thought, and possibly splattered with paint or dirt from the dog park.  I'd love to make some clothes for myself with these principles behind them.  Cute, loose, comfortable, fresh, wrinkled, unfinished edges that get better with age.







I am constantly trying to redefine my style.  I'm attracted to so many different eras and styles that I get a bit overwhelmed sometimes.  I'd like to find some sort of fusion between comfort and style, glamourous and casual, all within the confines of functionality.  I love the clothes of these little girls, but when I dress like this, I feel childish in a way.  Like if I ran into some important person in my business they would think I'm not capable of handling responsibility or something.  Of course, like all women, I'd also like to feel sexy, and sometimes baggy clothes don't really do that.  So, how can I reconcile all these things?  Maybe just wearing a different style every day!  The closest I've come to combining glamour and casual comfort is this JCrew spread from the holidays a couple of years ago...








Maybe the key is to wear whatever I want, and throw on some red lipstick and sparkly earrings.  I can manage that!  Do you all have any tips that help you define your style?





No comments: